most recent update:
Refugee Ministries Event: As Pillar is in a waiting period of being connected with a new refugee family, Matt Roberts and Sarah Kornfield invite you to their home tonight, 5-7pm (3129 Roberts Way, Holland, MI) to share and learn together about Refugee Ministries. Sarah’s sister, Claire Kornfield--a full time refugee minister from Dallas, will lead our conversation helping us think about our roles locally, nationally, and globally.
While we await the arrival of a new family, there are concrete ways you can prepare and engage:
- Pray. Millions upon millions of families are displaced all around the word at this current moment. The conditions in which they live are often horrible and the prospects for leaving refugee camps are often hopeless. Pray for these millions of families we will never meet. And pray for the protection and pathway of the family who will eventually make their way here to Holland.
- Prepare a Home. Once we receive word that a family is arriving, we will have no more than 2 weeks to find a create a home for them. We are currently collecting all the housewares necessary. Please check the sign up sheet for what you can contribute. All small housewares can be delivered to the Pillar Church Office. Please hold on to furniture items until we receive word a family is ready as we have little room for storage.
Even though we are not working directly with a family at this time, there is still much work to be done in the realm of refugee care. The delay in a family arriving is due in large part to policies built on misinformation about refugees. And as stated above, there are so many millions of displaced people who desperately need an opportunity to build a new life and bless a new community with their presence. Below are some of the organizations we trust who are working either to immediately help these families or to educate the community and representing lawmakers so our community and country can continue to welcome the stranger. Please consider engaging in this important work.
- Bethany Christian Services Community Engagement Initiative. Contact Christopher Hawkins at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Partners Relief & Development
- Christian Reformed Church Office of Social Justice
Thank you for caring about our brothers and sisters all over the world who are hurting. We look forward to partnering with you in this cause.